The simplest way to delete any file(s) from your Mac system is to send it to Trash folder and then empty the Trash. The file(s) appear to vanish and you presume that the data is gone forever.
What if you want to recover some (or all) of files that were deleted from Trash?
Well, there is good news! A file which is deleted from the Trash folder remains on your Mac hard drive, even though they aren’t visible on the disk space. It is therefore, possible to recover them.
Common reasons for Mac Data loss
Before diving into the methods to recover lost data from Trash, let us first explore the common reasons of data loss among Mac users.
- Physical crashes: Your Mac hard drive is vulnerable to accidents such as water spillage, physical drop, etc. Once the hard drive gets damaged, your data becomes inaccessible too.
- Electronic issues: Frequent power outages can harm the electronic components in your Mac hard drive. This can lead severe damage to the drive and consequent data loss.
- Virus attacks: Cyber-attacks are a common occurrence and, on most occasions, built-in Mac defense system or antiviruses protect us from these threats. However, in some cases, advanced malware or malicious programs can override the defenses and corrupt the hard drive. This can cause you to lose your valuable data.
- Accidental human errors: Human mistakes, such as accidental deletion of files is a very common cause of data loss.
How to prevent loss of data?
Prevention is always better than cure. The best way to recover data is to prevent losing data in the first place. The most common method is to use Time Machine, a built-in application in all MacBook devices. This application can be used to regularly back your data in an external hard drive and this way your data remains protected.
Apart from Time Machine, there are several third-party applications, which can be used to back-up your Mac data. Some prominent ones include Stellar Drive Clone, Backblaze, Dropbox, etc. You also get the option to save your data in the Cloud, which can be easily downloaded from any device, anywhere.
Data recovery software for recovering deleted/lost files
A data recovery software is a specialized tool, designed to recover deleted or lost files. These software scans through the drives to locate the deleted data and then recovers them.
Before going for a data recovery software, please recheck if you had made a backup of the file(s) you wish to recover. Plus, it’s always good to confirm if the deleted data is still in the Trash folder. Sometimes, we simply delete data by sending the files in the Trash. For such cases, you can restore the files by clicking on the file and selecting ‘Restore’.
For files that aren’t in the Trash and which haven’t been backed up, a data recovery software is the only option.
A data recovery software works by scanning the drive to look for deleted files and then allowing you to save these files after the scan has been completed. There are plenty of data recovery software available in the market which gets the job done. Data care companies offer both free and paid variants of their data recovery software. Plus, there are few open source recovery products like PhotoRec and TestDisk
Advantages of using a data recovery software
- It is the only fail-safe method to recover data from any loss scenario.
- The process is quick and efficient. Your valuable data is restored in minutes.
- Many data recovery software comes with additional features like health monitoring. This allows you to check the health of your drives and the tool also alerts if your drive is about to crash.
- A data recovery software gives you a sense of assurance i.e. no matter whatever happens to your device, your sensitive data will remain secure.
The most trusted mac data recovery software can easily recover the files you had lost from the Trash folder. It is DIY tool, with a sleek interface and is available in free version as well.
Tips to avoid permanent data loss
In the extract below, you will see the best practices on how to avoid loss of permanent data.
- If you wish to delete, send the file(s) to Trash. Don’t clear the Trash folder.
- While using a data recovery software, wait till the operation is completed. This will prevent permanent data loss due to overwriting.
- Make multiple copies of important files and store in different media. Also, with cloud storage gaining prominence, ensure that you keep a copy of sensitive info in a secure cloud server.
It is always better to have a backup of your data so that your sensitive files are not lost. So, first check if you have made a backup of the same. For scenarios where data is lost without a backup, a data recovery software comes to the rescue. It scans and locates the missing or deleted files, which you can easily restore on your system. The blog also shares the best practices so that you avoid permanent data loss instances in future.