In this post, we’ve mentioned ways on how to migrate from Thunderbird to Outlook. We’ve explained some manual methods with stepwise instructions to move Thunderbird mailbox items to MS Outlook. In addition, we’ve mentioned about a specialized MBOX to PST converter software that can help you migrate from Thunderbird to Outlook quickly.
Thunderbird, developed by Mozilla Foundation, is a free cross platform email client that is compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems. Thunderbird stores all the mail items such as emails, attachments, etc. in MBOX files on local storage.
Microsoft Outlook offers various additional features and outperforms Thunderbird in some key areas such as security, personal information management, and support for add-ons. That’s why organizations often migrate from Thunderbird to Outlook.
However, the migration isn’t easy as you can’t directly export Thunderbird mailbox data, which is in MBOX files, to Outlook. The most efficient and easy way to transfer Thunderbird mailbox data to Outlook is by converting MBOX file into Outlook importable PST format. However, there are some other methods that you can use to manually migrate mail items from Thunderbird to Outlook.
In this post, we’ve discussed the methods to transfer mailbox data from Mozilla Thunderbird to MS Outlook:
Method #1: Move Mail Items from Thunderbird to Outlook via Gmail IMAP
For this, you can create a new Gmail account or use an existing one. You need to sign in to Thunderbird by using this Gmail account and then move mailbox items from Thunderbird to MS Outlook.
Follow the given steps:
Enable IMAP in Gmail
- Login in to your Gmail account and go to Settings > Forwarding POP/IMAP.
- Select Enable IMAP in IMAP access section.
- Click Save Changes.
Setup Gmail Account in Thunderbird
- Launch Thunderbird and open your current email account.
- In the Accounts section, under Set up an account, select Email.
- Enter your name, Gmail email address, and password. Click Continue.
- Select IMAP and click Done. This will add your Gmail account to Thunderbird.
Copy Thunderbird Mailbox items to Gmail Mailbox
- Create a new folder in Thunderbird in the newly created Gmail account.
- Copy all your Thunderbird email folders to the new Gmail folder. This way, your Thunderbird emails are synced with your cloud mailbox on Gmail.
Configure Gmail Account in MS Outlook
- Launch Outlook and go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings > New.
- Enter the credentials of your Gmail account and click Next to connect to your account.
Outlook will sync your Gmail account folders, including the new Gmail folder. You can now access your Thunderbird mailbox items in Outlook.
Method #2: Drag and Drop Mail Items from Thunderbird to Outlook
You can also manually drag and drop the mail items from Thunderbird to a folder on Desktop and then from the folder to Outlook. Follow these steps:
- Create a new folder on Desktop.
- In your Thunderbird mailbox, select the emails you want to export to Outlook.
- Drag and drop the selected emails in the newly created folder on Desktop.
- Create a new folder in Outlook. Drag and drop the emails from the new Desktop folder to this folder.
Method #3: Use a Third-Party Software to Migrate from Thunderbird to Outlook
You can migrate from Thunderbird to Outlook safely and quickly by using an MBOX to PST converter software such as Stellar Converter for MBOX. With this software, you just need to select the Thunderbird’s MBOX file, choose the items in the file you want to convert, and save the items in PST. You can then import the PST into Outlook by using Outlook’s Import/Export feature.
The following are some reasons why you use MBOX to PST converter to export Thunderbird to Outlook:
- Safe and secure process
- Easy migration
- No technical expertise required
- Suitable for large Thunderbird mailboxes
Migrating from Thunderbird to Outlook manually can be a cumbersome and time-consuming process. The manual methods require technical expertise and may pose the risk of data loss. So, for simple, safe, and quick migration from Thunderbird to Outlook, use a specialized MBOX to PST converter tool.