The Outlook application consists multiple account from the different mail servers like Exchange, Microsoft 365, IMAP, SMTP, POP etc. and each of the account performs the email communication successfully. When you use an account professionally, then it receives lots of emails regularly and many of these emails have attachments in them. These attachments can be very important for your business like a client’s requirement, reports, receipts, newsletters, images, etc.
Sometimes, the Outlook is unable to open such attachments and they show an error each time you try to open the attachments. The error reads-
‘Cannot save the attachments. Cannot create file . Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder.’
The error shows the symptoms of not opening the attachments, but it does not reveal the cause behind such error. In such scenario, you will need to run some troubleshooting method that may remove the error and let you save the attachment safely.
Method 1. Empty the Temporary Internet Folder
The Temporary Internet folder is the cached file container that saves the online pages for a quick viewing. If they have been stuffed with a large size of cached file, then you can choose to empty it and make space for the attachment.
- Start the run app and type regedit in it. Then click Enter.
- When the Registry Editor is open, then go to Edit option in the tool bar and choose Find.
- Input OutlookSecureTempFolder in the text field and click Find Next.
- It will search among the registry folders for the given value and present it to you. You need to copy the whole path of the Temporary Internet Folder.
- Now go to respective location and delete all the cached files present there.
- Now restart the Outlook and try to open the attachment.
Method 2. Unblock the Outlook Security Protocols.
The default security protocol of Outlook, it stops the suspicious attachments from opening and sometimes it also stops such attachments that are genuine but have come first time in the account. You can change the protocol by allowing the new type of attachment to enter in Outlook.
- Open Run app and type regedit like in the previous method.
- Go to Edit in menu and choose New, then click String Value.
- Create a new value, provide a name to it and then double-click to open it.
- In the Value Data field, you can mention the type of all the attachment that you want to open it. For example, .exe and a semicolon (;) to add multiple types.
- Open Outlook and try to open the attachment.
Method 3. Repair the corrupt PST file.
When you have applied the above two methods and the attachments are still not opening, then it shows that the data file of your account has become corrupt. You should repair the PST file using the inbuilt Scanpst utility tool that comes within the Outlook setup and it can look for minor corruption in the PST. You can find the tool at the following location in the 64-bit Windows 8 and 10.
- drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE16
- drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE15
- drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE14
- drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12
Start the tool and browse the corrupt PST file of the account. Then let it scan the PST file for the possible corruptions. It may run multiple times to remove the corruption. But it has several disadvantages that make it a non-trustworthy partner in corruption removal. It can remove the whole corrupt file rather than corrupt part only and because it runs multiple times, so the content of the file may get changed also.
Method 4. Use the professional tool to repair the PST file.
After the failure of manual methods, the last and dependable option remains a professional tool that works solely for the corrupt PST file. A professional Outlook PST Repair tool can remove all kind of corruption from a large-sized PST file and recover each single item that got affected due to corruption or deletion. At last, you will restore the items in either new or existing PST file. There must be some filters that let you choose only the important data and leave the rest. You can also extract the email attachments separately.